August 9, 2011

Patience and Surrender

I graduated from Miami University last May in Middle Childhood Education with all the excitement and energy to begin teaching and reaching out to kids... only, I did not get a job.  A little frustrated, I began substitute teaching in several local districts.  I really felt like a failure and struggled to stay positive throughout the past school year as I filled in various classrooms from pre-k through high school.  I wanted my own classroom and kids and was very bitter because of it.  I felt like God was not allowing me to minister where I felt called.  Another struggle was not having a steady schedule since I am a person of consistency.

I began praying and seeking the word for answers and felt God was working patience in me.  After the school year was over, I was excited to get a job right away and spend the whole summer preparing for the school year. That wasn't the case.  I interviewed several times without an offer and once again felt like a failure.  I began talking to a friend about how I am not meant to be a house wife and that was what I was stuck doing.  I was caught in a hole I could not dig out of and doing housework which I really despise.  In our discussion, we set up a schedule for cleaning throughout the week to hold each other accountable. I had recently surrendered my situation to Christ and vowed to be the best housewife I could be and serve my husband at home as he was working 50-60 hour weeks.

Well today, I interviewed for a position at the school I student taught in and got the job.  Talk about a major blessing.  I was ready to give up education if this didn't work out.  Overwhelmed by nerves and nearly shaking as I got to the school early, I could do nothing but sit there.  Thank God for all my friends and family who were lifting me up because I sat in my car for 5 minutes and felt the peace of God overcome me.  On top of that, I was able to engage in a personal conversation with one of the secretaries I knew and really relaxed in the process.  This was her first day back from her break... divine intervention... I think yes. Everything from the smoothness of my answers to the calming conversation with the secretary, I knew God was their with me because I could not have done it all on my own.

Through patience and surrender I gained a deeper more intimate relationship with Christ and in the process allowed Him to use me in His time.  I can't wait to make a difference in my future students' lives and work with all the godly staff at the school.  So ready for the school year!  First day is in two weeks!  Here we go!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Susan I'm so happy for you! Congrats again!!!!!!!!! You will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete